David Beckham is considering leaving the US to play soccer in China after ending a five year playing stint with the Los Angeles Galaxy that earned him 250 million dollars. According to many news sources, Beckham has been in contact with the Shanghai Shenhua and has been offered a contract of 250,000 pounds per week with the possibility of 20 million pounds of endorsement deals.
The Beckham’s arsenal of product lines, including perfumes, H&M underwear and designer clothing would surely do particularly well in China’s growing middle class market. Without a doubt, they are financially secure for the rest of eternity, but guess it wouldn’t hurt.
Having attempted to bring soccer to a more prominent place in America, Beckham may see China as another opportunity to enhance the games global dominance. He has reportedly considered other offers from teams in Australia and France.
Victoria and the children wouldn’t plan on making the trip to China, though. Reports have them looking for another residence in England. This would mean that David Beckham would have to have an 11 hour commute, flying from London to Shanghai whenever he has a match.
Beckham is a noted basketball aficionado and can frequently be seen court side at Lakers games. Maybe the influence of basketball players going abroad to China has piqued his interest in exploring the possibilities of finishing his career in the Middle Kingdom. At 37, he is well past his prime playing days but could surely compete with Chinese soccer players much as some of the NBA’s talent has.
South China Morning Post has reported that as of January 1st 2013 Beckham will not make a move to China. Keep an eye out for other news stories to find out where he finishes the twilight of his soccer career.
BECKHAM FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- David and Victoria have four children, three boys, Brooklyn (aged 13), Romeo (aged 10), Cruz (aged 7) and one daughter, Harper Seven (aged 1)
- He is married to Victoria Beckham, who was a former member of the Spice Girls and known as Posh Spice. They married in a castle in Dublin, Ireland in 1999 at a cost of $ 800,000.
- David’s father worked as a gas appliance installer and his mother was employed as a hair stylist.
- Beckham grew up in the Leytonstone district of East London; this is the same area that Alfred Hitchcock grew up in.
- He won the highly regarded Bobby Charlton Soccer Schools National Competition at 11 years old
- Beckham wears a new pair of soccer shoes every game
- He has a misspelled tattoo of his wife’s name in Hindi on his forearm
- Beckham was red carded in a match versus Argentina in 1998 during the World Cup; many soccer analysts consider this the nadir of Beckham’s career. Check out the YouTube clip below.
- Check out these YouTube clips to see some of Beckham’s best goals